Saturday 26 February 2022

190 Shot

 

I took a quick glance at the note. The handwriting was recognizable but not familiar. My heart raced. I was reminded of that time when I used to cheat during exams. Xiao Liu’s attention was on the document so he didn’t notice what was happening with me.

Xiao Liu said, “Wu Meng, this is my analysis. I believe there is more than one killer, at least 1 male and 1 female. It will also explain why the cases are so close together in terms of time.”

Even though I desperately wanted to read the note closer, I understood solving the case was more important. However, I disagreed with Xiao Liu that there was more than 1 killer. Different from the case at First Drain Village, the killer in this case had shown similar mo, through the use of stories.

Killing a person was not easy, especially at the level of cruelty shown in these cases. In the history of criminology, serial killers mostly worked alone. There were occasional couple or sibling serial killers, but they were in the small minority. This was quite easily understood, because it was very hard to find a kindred spirit in this world, especially for a psychopath to meet another who shared their ideals.

Even though the two cases so far had overlapping timeline, the key timing like the murder time didn’t overlap. In other words, after the killer murdered the 2 OL, they had more than enough time to set up the ambush for the second story. It was also worth noting that this could mean that there might be other victims but the killer simply had not ‘told’ us.

“What do you think we should do?” Xiao Liu looked at me. I was reminded of what Gu Chen said earlier. Xiao Liu was only using us for his promotion. He hoped that we could help him find something useful. I personally didn’t mind this. After all, I wouldn’t be joining the force officially anyway. I told Xiao Liu, “Now we can confirm that the killer is around 1.6 to 1.9 metres, likes black clothes and prefers to be alone…” At this point, I stopped talking because I realized my criminal profile was not coming together. I couldn’t use any specific term to describe this killer’s persona. They were both solitary and not; they could be patient as a waiting panther but also mad like a pouncing tiger. It was like there was more than one killer.

I told Xiao Liu, “The killer doesn’t feel like they’re killing randomly. There has to be some connection between the victims. We should focus on that, as that is our opening. The messages left behind have to carry a certain meaning. There are a few things we can look into, the victims’ profession, family background, social relationship and so on. If we can find the similarity, we will find the next victim. 80 percent of serial killers have their own conditions when picking their victims.” I looked at Xiao Liu, “Not everyone fits.”

Xiao Liu nodded. We were silent for a long time before Xiao Liu said, “Wu Meng, I have something that I want to discuss with you.”

“What is it?” I asked.

Xiao Liu looked out the meeting room, everyone was busy with their own thing and there were only 2 of us in the room. No one was paying us any attention. Xiao Liu leaned in to whisper, “Wu Meng do you know why the chief is placing so much weight on this case?”

“Because there’s a serial killer on the loose?” I answered.

Xiao Liu shook his head. “You must have noticed that the case has not caused that much of a ripple among the public. In a city as big as Dong Xing City, there are deaths every day. The chief is so focused on this case because there is a competition between Captain Zhao and Captain Lee. I know you’ve noticed that the chief is siding with Captain Zhao too…”

“Isn’t that expected?” I said, “After all, when the chief was climbing up the ranks, Captain Zhao was his right hand man.”

Xiao Liu countered, “But Captain Zhao is too unambitious of a person. If not for the pursuit of Zhao Mingkun, Captain Zhao would have retired already and when he does, people who worked under him would have to start from the bottom or ostracized by the members of the other captains. Do you get it?”

I shook my head. “I don’t care about that. The ranks and salary have never been my concern. What is it that you wish to tell me?”

Xiao Liu looked at me and hesitated for a long time before he admitted, “Sometimes, I envy people like you, who are detached from the material world, people who don’t care about power and wealth. But I’m just a common man.”

I frowned.

Xiao Liu continued slowly, “Wu Meng, I know that in terms of investigative skill, I’m definitely not better than you. No matter how hard I work, I can’t rival your natural talent. My hard work can never even out the difference. Therefore, I’m begging you,” Xiao Liu’s voice was urgent. “When you find the killer, can you please give me the honor of capturing them? That way, we can stay in Dong Xing City and have a brighter future. If I fail, we will have to leave Dong Xing City with Captain Lee for a small town. My future will be ruined…” Xiao Liu pleaded, “Just help your brother this one time. What do you think?”

Seeing him like this, I didn’t know what to think. I felt strangely disappointed. I felt like I couldn’t recognize this man anymore. I still remembered Xiao Liu who was so happy-go-lucky, who still bought lottery tickets daily despite not winning. That man had disappeared to be replaced by this serious and power-hungry Xiao Liu.

After some time, I nodded. “If I’m the first to find the killer, I’ll tell you.” Xiao Liu sighed in relief. When he lifted his head, his eyes were smiling. “Wu Meng, thank you so much. I like my job but if I wish to fight for a better life for myself and my future family, there’s nothing wrong with that, right?” It sounded more like Xiao Liu was convincing himself than me. Regardless, the focus was still to capture the killer, for me, it didn’t matter who was the one who put on the cuff.

However, at that moment, I was still more concerned about the paper in my hand. I had seen this handwriting only once and it belonged to Zhao Mingkun.

“Meet you outside the mental hospital at 12 midnight.”

I only caught disparate characters when I glanced at it earlier. Now I realized it was a note meant for me. I was reminded of the woman I bumped in as we left the hospital. That was probably when she slipped the note into my pocket. I was wondering why the person looked so familiar. Turns out she was none other than the person whom Captain Zhao dreamed of catching, Zhao Mingkun. I had to admire her courage for showing up so close to Captain Zhao. If she was captured, she would be in prison for life.

At that moment, I was deeply conflicted. I didn’t know how to face Zhao Mingkun. I was excited but also afraid. I found Gu Chen and told him I had something private to do before I hurried back to the mental hospital.

When I arrived, it was already close to midnight. I parked and walked towards the hospital. I was only halfway there when I saw a woman standing under the streetlight. She was in a nurse outfit, leaning against the pole smoking. The short bob heightened her beauty. She puffed out smoke rings as she turned to look at me.

“Zhao Mingkun,” I whispered while standing a distance away. She nodded and dropped the cigarette butt to the ground. Both of us said at the same time, “What are you doing here?” Then we both laughed at the same time.

I asked, “The woman this morning was you? What were you doing in the hospital? To meet that old man?”

Zhao Mingkun leaned on the pole and looked at me. “Wu Meng, you’re quite clever.”

I shrugged. “Before I saw the note, I knew that the woman in the hospital felt very familiar to me. Now I realize she reminded me of you, but I still can’t tell what you were doing inside.”

Zhao Mingkun didn’t answer but she did straighten herself to walk towards me. Zhao Mingkun was physically shorter than me but in her high heels, it made her taller than me.

She began slowly, “Wu Meng, since you know my background and I know yours. Do you think I’ll let you go like that?” Zhao Mingkun pulled out a gun from her waist and aimed it at my head.

From the quality, weight and various parts of the gun, this was a real gun. The safety had been removed and it was loaded.

Zhao Mingkun was emotionless.

No comments: