Saturday 26 February 2022

194 The Survivor

 

Even though this was just my prediction, it fit the story. However, I couldn’t be certain if a child would die falling from a height of six floors. There was a chance that they might survive. If the child were only injured, they wouldn’t be able to deliver another blow. The killer was thin and only 1.6 metres tall. He might handle a woman or a child but not a healthy man.

However, despite the rising body count, we still couldn’t tell what was the basis used by the killer to pick their victims. Since the killer could write their stories from the perspective of different people, it meant that they were familiar with the story’s protagonists. In other words, the killer must have observed these people for a long time already. If the killer picked their victims at random, this was too scary. Just think about it, a person you didn’t know hid at the corner, stalking you every day. What kind of color clothes you like, your favorite sport, your favorite food, they knew everything, they even knew how often you used the location. This could be sweet between couples but it was horrifying for strangers.

The stranger wanted to know you not because they wanted to be your lover but because they were trying to find a unique way to murder you.

When we left the meeting room, it was already 3 am. A crescent moon hung in the sky. Under its glow, everything looked so surreal. From far away, a figure was walking over. He had his head lowered and he ambled. I focused my eyes and realized he was Xiao Liu. Xiao Liu looked tired and haggard. From that, I knew he didn’t achieve any progress. Earlier, I told Xiao Liu to focus on the relationship between the victims but clearly, he found nothing.

Xiao Liu reached the door before he noticed us on the steps. Gu Chen glanced at Xiao Liu and said, “I’ll go back to rest first.”

I turned to Xiao Liu. “So, did you find anything?”

Xiao Liu took out some cigarettes and passed one to me. It was the brand, Hong He. Xiao Liu sighed as he lit his cigarette. “After you left, I checked the connections between the victims and found nothing. The victims’ age has such a big range. They have different backgrounds and working environments. There’s no connection.” As I listened to him, I puffed out the smoke, trying to clear my mind.

Xiao Liu looked at me and sat down on the steps. He said with his head lowered. “I’ve checked even their parents but there’s nothing. Wu Meng, this is a dead-end. The killer murders randomly. There’s no selection and no motive.” He turned to look at me. “The killer is a psychopath. They found random people on the street, started stalking and investigating them before killing them. They are like a panther that enjoys the slow hunt.”

I was silent because I didn’t know what to say. The killer was incredibly cautious because they didn’t leave behind any useful clues.

In the end, I said, “Xiao Liu, I really think the key is the connection between the victims. The killer definitely didn’t pick their victims at random. Look deeper, there has to be something we still don’t know.”

Xiao Liu took a puff of smoke. Then he slammed the cigarette on the steps and whipped his head at me. “Wu Meng, what have you been investigating? If this line is so crucial, why didn’t you investigate it yourself? And where you did go when you left the station earlier today?”

Xiao Liu clearly had a hidden meaning behind this. Guan Zhenglin beside me frowned. “Xiao Liu, what do you mean by that?”

“You’re not toying with me, are you?” Xiao Liu stood up and glared at me. “You purposely led me down the wrong direction so I can’t solve the case? I know, your loyalty still lies with Captain Zhao. Things are not as simple as you make it out to be.” Xiao Liu sounded quite pointed. I had no idea what happened to him that he changed so much. However, I saw how tired he was so I didn’t want to argue with him. I said lightly, “If you don’t trust me, then find your own lead. I’m just sharing with you what I thought.” Then I told Guan Zhenglin, “Come, let’s go. We still need to follow the case tomorrow morning.” Xiao Liu stared into my eyes for a long time. His lips opened but in the end, he said nothing and strode into the station. It looked like he was still going to work.

Guan Zhenglin sighed. “Ever since he moved to Captain Lee’s unit, Xiao Liu has changed. I can’t even explain it, it’s like I can’t recognize him anymore.”

I offered, “Perhaps he’s just under too much pressure. After all, Xiao Liu has always been ambitious and he needs to solve big cases like this to rise in the ranks.”

The following day I was still sleeping when I heard the door kick open. Then a pair of mighty hands grabbed my shoulders and shook me. A loud voice exclaimed, “Wu Meng, it’s time to wake up. We have a new lead!”

I opened my eyes blurrily. Seeing Gu Chen, I mumbled, “What’s wrong? Is there an earthquake?”

Gu Chen answered, “Your speculation yesterday was correct. Around 5 am this morning, someone called. Captain Zhao already confirmed the call is about the latest story. There was indeed a child who fell from the 6th floor, and in that neighborhood, there’s a divorced man who goes by the name of Ol’ Wang.”

I pulled back the blanket and sat up. “Really? How is the child now?”

Gu Chen shook his head. “He was still alive when he hit the ground but he died on the way to the hospital.” I was silent, the child still died.

After some silence, Gu Chen added, “But there’s good news.”

“What good news?” I looked at Gu Chen. I really couldn’t imagine cases like these could have any good news.

Gu Chen answered, “The child is dead but someone is still alive.”

“Who?” I asked.

Gu Chen answered, “The protagonist of the story, Ol’ Wang.”

“He failed to commit suicide?”

Gu Chen nodded. “The drying rack on his balcony cannot sustain the weight of an adult man. The rack snapped from Ol’ Wang’s weight. He fell and broke an arm. He was rushed to the hospital with the child.” This was truly a piece of rare good news. Since Ol’ Wang was still alive, we might get some useful clues from him. After all, the killer had been following him for a long time already, he might notice something. “Let’s go!” I put on the shoes and readied to leave. Gu Chen stopped me. “What’s wrong?” I questioned.

Gu Chen sighed, “What you do in private is your own business, but I can’t allow you to make the force lose face.” Then I realized I was naked. When we exited the hostel, everyone was already there.

Inside the car, Gu Chen told me. “We’re going to Dong Xing First People Hospital. The child is still waiting for an autopsy, Ol’ Wang is in the ward. Do you think the killer will come to kill Ol’ Wang since he didn’t die?”

I was stumped by Gu Chen’s question. Based on the previous stories, all the protagonists had died, but Ol’ Wang had survived. So would the killer return to kill him? I really had no idea, this killer was too hard to read.

When we got down from the car, I heard Captain Lee told Xiao Liu, “Xiao Liu, I need you to assign people to guard this place, especially Ol’ Wang’s ward. The killer might return to kill him. Zhang Qinrui, go and notify the hospital and start the autopsy on the child.” Captain Lee was quite a good leader.

Captain Zhao got down and said, “I knew Captain Lee would arrange these things, so we will directly go to find Ol’ Wang to see if he knows anything.”

Guan Zhenglin said, “I’ll head to the morgue.” The rest of us nodded. I followed Captain Zhao into the hospital. We arrived at Ol’ Wang’s ward at the same time as Xiao Liu. We looked in and saw the patient inside the room. Ol’ Wang’s arm was in plaster and he lay in bed. From the despondency on his face, it would appear like Ol’ Wang had broken more than his arm. I shared a look with Xiao Liu and he pushed the door open and walked in. I followed behind Xiao Liu. The others waited outside.

Ol’ Wang turned his head when he heard the door open. Then he turned away wordlessly like he didn’t see us.

No comments: