Thursday 10 March 2022

240 Changing Path

 

The siren wailed. The other vehicles parted for us. In less than ten minutes, we came to the nearest hospital. The cruiser had five people, including me. When we arrived, one officer went to register for me while the rest watched over me. I pulled on the arm of one officer, “I need to use the toilet.”

The officer looked at me and said coldly, “Hold it in.”

I laughed. Ignoring him, I pulled down my pants. I should mention that this was a normal hospital and not a mental hospital. In less than a second, screams erupted around me. Some ran away, and others screamed. A surprising number of people stayed to watch. The officers around me didn’t expect my behavior. They were stunned. People started to cheer, take pictures and call security. None of them realized that they were in the company of the police.

Resisting the pain from my tongue, I shouted, “Dear friends, you better stand back. I’m going to walk towards the toilet like this. Watch me.” I held my pants and walked towards the staircase. With each step, my heart quivered. The staircase was right before me. Once I turned the corner, I would have succeeded.

Humans were creatures of curiosity. No one would expect me to disappear from the corner of the staircase. The other officers were surrounded by the crowd. They couldn’t get to me.

“Wu Meng.” Zhang Qinrui’s voice drifted through the crowd. I saw the man squeezed into the crowd. I glanced at him one last time and disappeared around the corner. At the corner of the landing, there was a window with a grille. If there was no problem, I could walk over to remove the grille. But would Sister Mao do that for me? After all, I was a suspect. I walked over and pulled. The grille didn’t move.

My heart chilled. I understood why Sister Mao didn’t help me. I couldn’t expect her to help me without benefits. I was ready to accept the consequence.

I pulled one more time for luck. But this time, the grille loosened. I was overjoyed. I pulled harder, and one corner of the grille was removed. I understood then Sister Mao didn’t loosen the entire grille but only a corner big enough for me to escape. I studied the grille. A few iron rods were broken at the base, and they didn’t look sawed off. Something must have corroded them. Sister Mao did something to them so I could yank them off by force. I jumped down the window and removed the suspect’s vest.

I ran towards the hospital’s backdoor, and sweat poured all over me. My throat was dry. The wounds in my mouth were breaking open, and it was extremely painful. This time, I didn’t need to do anything, and blood was already trickling down my chin.

There was a normal car idling at the backdoor. A person walked out. It was none other than Sister Mao. I grabbed her by her neck and pushed her into the car. “Drive,” I said.

“You’re hurting me.”

I didn’t release my hold. I said, “Without some injury, how are you going to explain yourself to the police? Have you done everything I asked?”

Sister Mao started the car and allowed me to strangle her. I saw my nails pierce into her skin and her blood leak. The blood flowed down her neck and dripped onto the car. She had no expression. She didn’t look in pain.

She said, “I’ve done everything you asked. The things are in the box at your feet.”

“Don’t lower your head.” I said, “Your expressions are too unprofessional. Act in pain and fear. There are cameras everywhere, and the technology is good enough to capture your expression. Now please drive to the outskirt of the city. You know the way.”

Sister Mao acted weak immediately. “Outskirts? You’re not leaving Dong Xing City?”

I shook my head. “There’s no time. Drive to the outskirts. Stop the car in an hour. I will find my way to leave.”

“How?” Sister Mao asked.

I explained, “People will know I’ve kidnapped you in less than five minutes; they will track your car in less than thirty minutes; the nearby police will come in less than an hour. After you stop the car, you need to call the police! That will clear up your suspicion.”

“Understood.” Sister Mao said, “But I can’t find the person you want me to.”

I nodded. “That’s expected. She is not that easily found. But since you’ve released the words, she’ll know soon enough.”

“Who is the girl?” Sister Mao looked at me and asked after some hesitation. “Why do you think she can help you?”

I looked at Sister Mao and smiled. “Sometimes, the more you know, the more dangerous it is.” The smile caused my muscles to pain. “There’s one more thing I need to do. I hope you’ll forgive me.”

“What is it?”

Before she finished, I pushed a finger down my throat. Then I vomited. Even though I had no idea if there was any danger from swallowing a cigarette, I didn’t want the cigarette to stay in my body. After a long vomiting session, I saw the cigarette corroded by stomach acid. I felt better. My vomit and blood splattered all over the car.

I bent over to grab the box near my feet. The box was filled with snacks but among them hid a small case. The case contained a roll of money and a phone card. The case was small. With a shake, it disappeared down my sleeve. When I raised my hand, the case was gone.

The smell of blood and vomit wafted in the car. Sister Mao frowned. “I must be mad to help you.”

I smiled. “See the alley in front? Stop there.”

Sister Mao nodded and parked. There was no camera here. I said, “Sister Mao, thank you. Honestly, I really didn’t expect you to help me.”

Sister Mao suddenly laughed, “I was a prostitute. I’ve seen more men than I care to admit. They say prostitutes have no heart, but if there’s a choice, I didn’t want that life either. Plus, you can’t be that bad if you’re friends with Brother Huang Er.” Sister Mao added, “Once you leave, don’t come back.”

“I will come back. This is not yet over. Remember. Once I leave, call the police.”

Sister Mao wanted to say something, but I had already opened the car door.

As I walked away, I pulled up a map in my mind. Earlier, Sister Mary had shown us a 3D map to capture the multiple personality killer. The map was now in my mind, showing both aboveground and belowground buildings.

I shook my head and sighed. I knew this map to capture the killer, but now it became a tool for my escape. If my memory served me right, there was a sewer entrance near the alley. Once I was down there, my escape would be complete.

As I predicted, I soon came upon the sewer entrance. When the police arrived, I could have appeared at any other exit. The police wouldn’t find me.

I pulled the cap back on, and the light disappeared. My eyes were still adjusting. I stood there and waited until my eyes were used to the darkness. But even so, I could see at most half a meter before me. I didn’t expect I’d one day spend my days in darkness.

I thought of the killer and Zhao Mingkun. No one liked the dark, but certain people couldn’t stand in the light. If one could walk in the light, who would give that up? But some roads were destined to be dark.

I had no choice but to make my way into darkness.

No comments: